Thursday, July 8, 2010

No Tirade About Thai...

Dan here with another chapter in Furious Foodies!

So here I am, reviewing Royal Thai, because Thai food is something I've had on my list for a long time to try.

The sign seemed rather plain in its title and declaration, but that belies the experience.

The environment was well lit with natural lighting from the windows. In the inner dining area there was lighting soft enough to create a warm area, but not so much that the menu would be difficult to read. A scene depicting some supernatural battle between two foes was woven in cloth below the solid glass tabletop. Beautiful decor all around. There was a feeling of privacy even though we could see tables in front and behind us.
The menu was very carefully crafted, with maximum legibility in mind, as was the convenient dessert menu under the glass of the table.
The waitress greeted us and we asked questions about some of the dishes. They expressed great knowledge and proficiency.

The appetizer was Satay, marinated chicken on skewers with a peanut sauce, and cucumber salad. The chicken was quality meat with a low spiciness to it. The peanut sauce transformed the flavor to something sweet yet not sickeningly sweet.

Ga-ree Gai was the dish I ordered, in the style of "Thai hot." The Ga-ree Gai is sliced chicken in yellow curry along with potatoes and onion. It mentioned that it had milk in it. It is served with a cucumber salad. The salad was a (tasty) repeat of the appetizer's salad, containing chunks of carrot and sliced cucumber set in a shallow vinegar. It was crispy, fresh, and no problem to eat.

When one of the waiters arrived with the Ga-ree Gai, another came with a highly ornate cauldron just a bit larger than the size of a basketball of hot, sticky rice in a plate beside the bowl. Bit by bit, I added with the included spoon parts of the Ga-ree Gai and began to eat. The presence of the milk was there in the sort of broth this dish was drenched in. Seconds after the first bite, the spice crept up and the intensity of the burn increased until just minutes after when I was forced to put my water to use.

When we were done, we were asked if we wanted dessert. I looked over the menu and selected the Banana Delight and Coconut Ice Cream.
It featured banana pieces wrapped in a sort of rice paper and fried. These pieces were then arranged in a circle around a scoop of coconut ice cream, then lightly covered with honey. The bananas were still hot, but when the ice cream touched them the burn was swept away. It was something I most certainly would want to order again.

In all steps of the dinner, we were checked on and were asked of our impressions. Our responses: fantastic.

I rate this restaurant 9/10

Clayton: I give this a 10/10. Plain and simple! I cannot express anything that Dan has not other then I really like Pad Thai!

Royal Thai on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Ashley K. Edwards said...

Wow! 9 out of 10? Where is this place? I'm a big fan of Thai food, and so far my favorite place is in Winter Park.

I'd love to try this place out since you rave about it!

Dan said...

You can find it on Old Cheney Highway and North Semoran.

We'd love to hear back about how your impression was if you decide to try it for yourself.

Ariel White said...

I love this place. It is amazing. My fiance and I regularly come. We ordered summer rolls, which I had mistaken for the Chinese version of spring rolls. It had an unusual texture as they were wrapped in rice paper. However, our regular Thai Iced Tea was delicious and the Chicken Green Curry is mouth watering. We love coming here and it would be sad to miss if you enjoy authentic Thai food. :)